Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson will clash with dangerous welterweight Vicente Luque at UFC 244 on Nov. 2, the promotion's president, Dana White, announced, according to ESPN's Brett Okamoto.
Thompson (14-4-1) heads into
the contest off back-to-back losses for the first time in his career after being knocked out by Anthony Pettis at UFC Nashville in March. The 36-year-old has gone winless in four of his last five fights, with his lone victory coming against top contender Jorge Masvidal at UFC 217.
Luque (17-6-1) is one of the most underrated fighters in the division. "The Silent Assassin" has won 10 of his last 11 fights, with nine of those victories coming by stoppage. He most recently defeated Mike Perry by split decision at UFC Uruguay, going the distance for just the second time in his UFC career.
UFC 244 takes place at Madison Square Garden. Former UFC title challenger Nate Diaz headlines the card against Masvidal in a welterweight affair. Here's an updated look at the card:
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz (20-11)
- Kelvin Gastelum (16-4) vs. Darren Till (17-2-1)
- Derrick Lewis vs. Blagoy Ivanov (18-2)
- Corey Anderson (12-4) vs. Johnny Walker (17-3)
- Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson vs. Vicente Luque (17-6-1)
- Krzysztof Jotko (21-4) vs. Edmen Shahbazyan (10-0)
- Katlyn Chookagian (12-2) vs. Jennifer Maia (17-5-1)
- Lyman Good vs. Chance Rencountre (14-3)
Here are my thoughts on the matchup and make sure you subscribe to theScoreMMA YouTube channel here.